Our History

The congregation began in August 1922 when the Oaktown and Bicknell congregations got together to hold a tent meeting at the corner of Sycamore and First Streets.  Evangelists D.M. Mathis and W. G. Roberts preached and when the meeting ended on September 10th, twenty-six members were committed to meeting each Lord's Day as the Church of Christ in Vincennes.

 

In June 1923, another tent meeting was conducted by D. M. Mathis and J. C. Roady to strengthen the Church. Vern J. Kennedy and C. C. Bennett were appointed as elders of the Church. Clyde Peck of Cass, Indiana was the first regular preacher.

 

With the help of the Lincoln Street Church in Bloomington, land for a building was purchased at the corner of Ninth and Hart Streets in 1927. They began with a basement, in which the Church met for 18 years. Their numbers continued to grow and so did the need for the building to be finished. After much work and sacrifice, the new building was completed and a dedication was held on April 15, 1951.

 

As the Church continued to take the gospel to the community, their need for a larger building also grew. On December 18th, 1977, they dedicated a new place of worship located at 1600 Forbes Road, where the Church continues to meet. The current building is comprised of two large circular domes and stands as a landmark in Vincennes.

 

More important that buildings is the way that dedicated servants of Christ have continued to serve their Lord through worship, Edification, evangelism, and benevolence.

 

On September 10, 2017, we celebrated our 95th Anniversary with a grand Homecoming.  We look forward to celebrating our Centennial in August 2022.

‚Äč

As we continue in this 21st century, we embrace the challenges that await us. We still find that our lives are rich with opportunities to serve our Lord as we reach out to a lost world and look forward to our Lord's return.

2019 - Central Church of Christ. 

  • Facebook - Black Circle